Pages

Friday, November 30, 2012

We Made It!

After a long, confusing, and at times tearful process we managed to make it to the U.S. with a tourist visa for my fiance! I am so thankful for the blessing of being able to spend the holidays with my family and him together!

We've been back for a week, and so far, we have both gotten a little fatter, and finally beaten jet lag.

Notable moments for my fiance:
-using a water fountain for the first time
-going to see "Lincoln" with me....what a good sport! The 19th century is hard enough for native English speakers to understand...but he was intrigued by the story of Lincoln.
-thrift stores. A new concept for him, and very exciting...he has bought a lot of shoes.
-Sonic fast food. Sadly, this is his favorite food so far. That and Garden Salsa Sun Chips, haha.
-He enjoyed going to church and prayer group with my family, although for someone that comes from the Chinese church network, he was shocked by the size and niceness of our building.

Things that have been hard for him:
-he had a hard time adjusting the first couple of days, because while he regularly speaks English with me and his American best friend, he found it frustrating that he couldn't communicate as quickly and fluently as he'd like with average Americans he met...he said he finally understood my frustration with not being able to communicate my precise meaning in Chinese.
-Unfortunately while listening to the radio one morning, we heard some radio DJs do a very racist bit about Chinese people. While he didn't understand most of it, he observed how embarrassed I was, and that I murmured "racist".

Anyways, we will be here in Texas until January. Since being home, I have:
-dyed my hair blonde (it was on my Bucket List, I've never gone blonde)
-gone to Target multiple times
-enjoyed the firewall-free internet here :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment