Pages

Thursday, May 12, 2011

So, interesting fact: China doesn't really use the word "no" much. The phrase used in place of that most often is "不是”(not so or not yes) .

Coincidentally (or not so coincidentally) I have found that when I say no to a request....people do not always take it for an answer. Here is a conversation that I had twice TODAY alone:

Stop!!

Person: I think you can take this part-time job teaching English/tutoring kids.
Me: Actually, I can't, because I am on a student visa and it is against the law.
Person: But no one will know.
Me: But I will know.
Person: But it is ok.
Me (trying different tactic): I am a white foreigner. They watch everything I do. They will know. And I have promised my visa officer that I will follow the rules.
Person: But I think there will be no problem.
Me (moving on to third tactic): Well, I am very busy.
Person: But I think just on the weekends.
Me (thinking to self): I am a white foreigner. Do you know how many stinkin requests I get EVERY DAY to a) teach people English b)tutor English c)make publicity apperances. Also, I do not like children much, and have no desire to teach them. Maybe I should tell them that I hate children.
Me (out loud): Well, because I have classes and teach English corner and am a foreigner, I am very busy.
*insert desperate attempt to change the subject*

On the upside, I am growing a lot in my ability to give firm "no" answers. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment