Pages

Saturday, May 7, 2011

A Chinese Bicycle Excursion!

I spent my Saturday bicycling to a prehistoric site outside of our city (33 km outside the city!).








It was an adventure for me and my puny muscles, and for my Chinese street bike (I have almost decided that it's time to invest in a mountain bike). While my last bicycle excursion ended in injury, this one was relatively uneventful, and enjoyable (if exhausting).



Things I was reminded of during my bike excursion:


  • That I live in a desert environment (my lips were so chapped). Also, that wind is not my friend.

  • That it is possible to sunburn your hands


  • That visiting villages in China is like stepping back in time. Really.

  • That the local dialect is almost impossible for me to understand (SO different from standard Mandarin)

  • How much I love the countryside of China (bathrooms excluded)


While there wasn't a lot to see at the prehistoric site (they are in the process of building a museum, but it is doubtful that they will have the ability to prove that anything they have found in the area is in fact prehistoric), the village itself is OLD. The ground was littered with old grinding and mill stones, and the houses were charmingly quaint (and falling apart). These areas are water to my adventure-thirsting soul! :-)



While at the end of the day, my muscles prompted me to swear I would never do 40 miles of biking in one day again (especially with wind against me), I think I will return when the museum out there opens next year. In spite of the sunburns and aches, being outdoors and out of the craziness of a larger Chinese city was good for my spirit!

No comments:

Post a Comment