Pages

Thursday, March 10, 2011

English Corner

Many foreigners in China are asked to do English Corners. These are usually just gatherings where people (usually university students or young professionals) can practice English. Myself and a classmate lead one, and I have to say, I really enjoy the opportunity to meet Chinese students, and *gasp* to speak English. I spend most of the week attempting to speak Mandarin, so it is honestly nice to have easier communication for one evening a week. Also, it ends up being helpful with Mandarin because we try to practice a bit as well (I usually learn some things trying to explain English phrases).





Also, some of my closest friends here I have made through English Corner...we have some really interesting discussions...these have included:

-family

-politics (although, as a foreigner, I usually just listen to their opinions and don't contribute many of my own)

-spirituality

-societal pressures of China

-dreams, goals, and what brings people here hope

-random get-to-know-you questions

-dating, sex, and love

-ebonics/slang

-the environment

-movies, music, and pop culture

...and really anything and everything in between!



What about you? If you have experience interacting with international students, what are some topics you've found interesting to discuss?

No comments:

Post a Comment