Pages

Saturday, August 3, 2013

Baby Fever

Ok, I am admitting it....we have baby fever. My husband has had baby fever for a long time, and early in our dating relationship discussed how much he was looking forward to having kids together. I really don't know how I got on board with the whole thing, I feel like my uterus is overpowering my personality recently. I am that person who always swore that you shouldn't even be thinking about kids during your first year of marriage....but....we've been talking about it. Not because we're necessarily planning on getting pregnant NOW, but because we want an overall game plan (also, my husband just turned 29, or 30 by Chinese age calculations...he has started feeling old, hehe). There are a lot of things to figure out before having kids, and double that with a cross-cultural kid...which country will it be a citizen of? Which country should it grow up in? Which language will who speak when and in which environment? etc. etc. Adoption is of course still very important to me, but still have years until I am eligible to adopt from most countries.
 
 
Anyways....my concession that we should start preparing has been that we've both been doing some reading (see above photo). I should note that my husband was extremely excited that I bought a pregnancy/baby book to read, and then I found the book in the photo above (Chinese translation of the book "Dad's Pregnant Too" 爸爸也怀孕) and said if I was going to read, he needed to as well (he is not much of a reader, but he promptly began looking through it....and turned to the chapter dealing with Having Sex While Pregnant...yep, typical guy ).

1 comment:

  1. My husband went from wanting to have at least three kids with me to not wanting to have any for the time being (due to money worries and because he was afraid that I'm not healthy enough for having babies) to maybe 1 or 2. He'd love to have twins, less work in the long run, as he says. I wasn't very smitten with the idea of having babies so early into our marriage, but kind of started to like the idea (I like the idea of being a younger mum rather than an older one, as in that way the age difference between me and my kids won't be that big – not saying that being older when having kids is bad). But you're right, there's a lot more you have to consider in a multi-cultural relationship than if you're both from the same country.

    ReplyDelete