Pages

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

It's Here

Yes, ladies and gentleman, the long-awaited release of Titanic in 3D (ok, so not so much long-awaited by me, but long-awaited by many of my friends here in China). I'll admit, as the last week has brought a continual blaring of "My Heart Will Go On" over mall loudspeakers, I have been rolling my eyes and steeling myself for what I knew would be the inevitable accompanying of friends to see it (I was just praying I wouldn't have to go at midnight).

But you know what? I think my attitude has changed (I really am becoming more and more Chinese, ack). I enjoyed sitting in that theater with people (mostly older, of the generation that first saw it fifteen years ago and wanted to reminisce), oohing and aahing over the 3D, and the story, which they were reacting to as if they had never seen.

My friend published something online about just what that movie meant to China, and I'll admit, I was much less condescending after reading it.

Fifteen years ago the cinematic climate was much different here...Titanic wasn't the first American film released here, but it was the first to be so huge. As my friend explained, it literally opened a whole new world to those who saw it. It wasn't just about the story (although that was a big part of it....a story about the pursuit of love above family commitment and even wealth was a new concept for some), but it was about good cinema too, and the opening of China. China still has a long way to go in that department, but this was a first step. Now, some of us might argue that Titanic is not really good cinema, but compared to most Chinese films...it's definitely got something. Particularly at the time when it was released.

So, as I sat there, watching the unedited version of the film, honestly...I felt moved. Not necessarily by Jack and Rose, but by their impact on a society and my friends as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment