Pages

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

元宵节 (Yuan Xiao Festival)

(the glow of red lanterns in neighbors' windows...decorations for the new year!)

The Yuan Xiao Festival in China marks the end of the Chinese New Year celebration. People will display colorful lanterns and eat glutinous rice balls (also called 元宵 yuan xiao).


It seems I am always coming across a new festival previously unknown while living here in China. I didn't participate in the city-wide festivities for this particular festival, but I did go to a demonstration of yuan xiao and paper lantern making held at the local museum (and consequently appeared on tv and in several newspapers for being a whitey that showed up at the event).

People will also try to solve riddles written on lanterns...the kids really got into this at the museum and were given prizes (I was also given a prize, but not because I answered...just because I was there, ha).

No comments:

Post a Comment