Pages

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Hidden History in Shanghai

During my visit to Shanghai, I definitely saw some of the awesome things you might expect, like the World Expo...but I also had the opportunity to go off-the-beaten-path a little bit...having heard that there was a good bit of Jewish history in Shanghai, I decided to seek it out (one of my good friends from our city is studying in Shanghai, and she got to come along as well).


Shanghai was a refugee haven during (and even before) WWII and there was a significant Jewish population living there...so interesting. We toured the Synagogue that is now a museum in Shanghai..fascinating!

Shanghai in many ways did seem reminiscent of New York City, and the history nerd in me was delighted to find such a diverse offering of cultural memory to be found there!



No comments:

Post a Comment