Pages

Monday, December 13, 2010

The Chinese Massage

One of the nice things about living in China is that, to counteract all the bicycle riding, freezing temperatures, carrying groceries home, etc....there is the Chinese massage. Cheap (68 yuan is the deal we go for...that's $10 USD), and amazing. I try to go every month and get the 1 1/2 hour treatment which includes legs, feet, back, neck, and butt (not for those who are easily made to feel awkward).

When they do your feet, they normally can tell you certain things about your health. I've had it explained to me and don't fully understand, but it's always accurate. They can always tell I have digestive problems by massaging my feet.

The process is a bit painful at parts...the main point of it is for health, not relaxation (unless you are specifically getting an aromatherapy massage), but it ends up being relaxing anyway. For a foreigner it's not quite the peaceful experience one might expect because my masseusse is usually curious about me and wants to talk...which is good. A good way to learn more health/body vocabulary in Chinese.

During my most recent visit, it was a little awkward since they started by telling my roommate and I that we were very pretty (not really something I want to hear while being rubbed by a stranger), but they were friendly. My guy gave me some tips on improving my health (such as putting my feet in hot water more often to get rid of toxins).

At the end of the massage things were made a bit more awkward when he commented that I had a good figure but was thin. Thank you Mr. Chinese Guy who has his hands on my butt. I was also informed that I have a bad shoulder and that I need to lift weights (it's true, I have no shoulder muscles).

Also included in the experience: these awesome pajamas. This time mine were about, oh, 20 sizes too big (which I don't really understand since the average Chinese person is pretty small).

But for real, in the dead of winter when I spend my time with muscles clenched and freezing a lot...curling up in huge pajamas while you are served complimentary all-you-can-drink coffee and get massaged....it's a pretty sweet deal!

No comments:

Post a Comment