Pages

Monday, September 27, 2010

A Good Memory


It's been a rough few weeks...I've had my victories, but spent a lot of time being defeated as well.


I think in times like that, memory is essential. Remembering things we've seen, good things God has done, and even happy/funny things.


I went to the English corner I co-lead last week, and was delighted to see a friend that I hadn't seen in 2 years (I didn't know he still lived in the city). We caught up, talked about all of our old friends, and talked about why I came to China. He said, "I think you have a lot of happy memories here." "I do, I love it here." I said. As I said it, I believed it (and believe me, I hadn't been feeling the love that week). And he said, "China loves you!"


I actually really treasured that comment because it made me remember the sweet times God has allowed me to experience here, and the wonderful people I've met. I really needed to feel/remember some love.


It made me think about my 21st birthday. At the time, it wasn't my favorite, but after the fact, I actually really loved that day. I celebrated my 21st birthday here, and it happened to fall on the day that myself and the other American exchange students were scheduled to perform in an English festival. It was a pretty momentous undertaking, and it rained that night. We performed in the pouring rain, and unbeknownst to me, the organizers found out it was my birthday. Amid shouts of "Julie, I LOVE YOU!!!" (think crazy fans at a rock concert), the whole group of gathered students (hundreds) sang Happy Birthday to me.

(Performing...this doesn't really show the scope of the amazzzing performance. haha)


At the time, I was mortified. Looking back, it was awesome. People were so welcoming to me.

Sometimes it feels different now, being a resident rather than a guest. I am treated more as a resident, which is satisfying in some ways, and in other ways, lonely. Because I may live here, but I don't fit in yet. I am so grateful for the opportunity to love people I meet well, but I am also grateful for those sweet people God brings into my life that love me well.

No comments:

Post a Comment